Our organization’s name may have changed over the course of our history, but our dedication to Brookline has not! A brief timeline:
- 1878 — women become active in the Temperance movement in Massachusetts.
- 1905 — a group of these women organized and incorporated the Brookline Friendly Society, which provided health and social services for Brookline residents.
- 1957 — the Brookline Friendly Society became the parent organization for Family Services of Brookline and Brookline Visiting Nurses Service.
- 1999 — the Brookline Friendly Society renamed itself the Brookline Community Fund and began offering small grants to the community.
- 2005 — the Brookline Community Fund renamed itself the Brookline Community Foundation to reflect its expanded mission and grantmaking.
- 2010 — BCF was recognized for complying with the National Standards for United States Community Foundations by the Community Foundations National Standards Board.